Thursday, February 24, 2011

The smile that warms my heart




Sami slept almost 9 and a half hours last night (from 7:45 p.m. to 5:15 a.m.) I slept more than usual, too, although not nearly as much as Sami because I kept checking on her constantly making sure she was OK, because I couldn't believe she was sleeping for so long.

The previous two nights were not as good. Sami was up all night and most of the days, crying and cranky but just not wanting to sleep. I think she probably was so exhausted from those two days, and that's why she slept so much last night.

I am finding freelance work to be truly feast or famine. I have been working very hard trying to make up for the $4,200 I lost for work that I completed for one company that declared bankruptcy, and isn't paying any invoices for the past 90 days, even though they published the work. Yesterday, I received a letter from the courts, informing me that I am not permitted to bother the company for payment, because they are protected under the bankruptcy law.

So I have been doing a lot of editing work for the clothing catalog. On Monday, Sami and I went to Boca and picked up a 92-page catalog that I edited overnight and brought back to Boca on Tuesday, at which time I picked up another catalog I edited overnight and brought back yesterday. I will not have work for them again until next week, so for the remainder of this week I am writing two articles for the publication I regularly write for, in addition to meeting with a real estate developer this afternoon to talk about editing a book that he wrote. He found me through an ad I placed looking to provide freelance writing and/or editing services. I had thinking about canceling the ad since I had not received much response. I will see how the meeting goes this afternoon and will soon know if this will be a new project for me. In addition, a PR guy I know just passed along contact information to me about another business trade publication looking for freelancers. I contacted the publisher yesterday, and quickly received a response that he is very familiar with my name, and definitely can offer me work. The publication is a national trade publication, but since the office is based only about an hour from me, we are in the process of setting up a meeting to discuss work. Both he and the real estate developer agreed to allow me to bring Sami to the meetings, which is a huge help since I am not using childcare and she is always with me. Sometimes this is challenging, trying to work full time from home while at the same time being a full-time stay-at-home mom, but it's worth it to me if I do not have to enroll her into daycare.

Sami still has her bad days of screaming and crying all day and night, but she is really beginning to smile, laugh and interact. Every time I see her smile, I smile, and I every time I hear her laugh, I laugh. Every time I look at her, my heart is so filled with warmth and love that it overwhelms me, and often brings tears to my eyes. Sami is still sleeping in our room, in a pack and play that sits next to my side of the bed, and we are together almost 24/7. I have started to put her in her crib for naps (which she takes rarely) or when I am just in her room cleaning or putting her clothes away. I am slowly trying to start get her used to her crib and her room, although it may wind up being me that will have the adjustment problem one day of having her sleep apart from me. LOL.

3 comments:

  1. You are a great MOM...don't worry about putting her in her crib...that day will come and it may be better then expected!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Have been following your blog all along since last year. My son is born a week after Sami. She is so fortunate to have you as her mom!

    ReplyDelete