Monday, April 11, 2011

Our bedrooms feel miles apart












































It's almost 1 a.m. on Sunday night/Monday morning. I'm wide awake because our bedroom feels extremely lonely. Tonight Sami fell asleep on the couch and I put her into her crib in her room instead of in her bassinet in our bedroom. I do not know if she will make it there all night, but I am giving it a try. Though her room is very close to ours, I still have the baby monitor on at full volume on my nightstand, and I have already been in her room several times to make sure she is OK. I know this sounds crazy, but I miss her. Not having her here by my side is a huge step, not just for Sami, but also for me.

Another reason I am not expecting her to make it in there all night, is that Sami has stopped sleeping through the night. We had a week or two in which she was sleeping between eight and 10 hours each night, and then suddenly she stopped sleeping through the night.

Last Wednesday night, we had another big step. Steven and I went out to dinner alone for the first time since Sami was born more than 5 months ago. My mom offered to watch her and although I knew it would be very tough for me to leave her, I reluctantly agreed. Steven said it would be good for us, and for her, and I knew he was right. We had a nice evening, even though I missed her terribly and called my mother several times during dinner to make sure Sami was OK. On my last telephone call to her on my way home, my mother, who hasn't taken care of an infant in a very long time, admitted to me that earlier she changed Sami's diaper, and couldn't find the tabs and therefore couldn't figure out how to fasten the diaper. So, she Scotch-taped the diaper closed!! It was very comical when we got back to my mother's house and I checked out my mother's handy-work. The diaper was on backward, which is why my mother could not locate the tabs, and it was very loose around Sami's waist, most likely due to the fact that the Scotch tape was not strong enough to hold the diaper tightly closed. After that I gave my mother a lesson diapering. We had a good laugh, of course at her expense. LOL.

Also this past week, Sami got to meet my cousin Charlie, who was visiting from New York. Charlie fell for Sami the way almost everyone else does, and insisted on holding her on his lap throughout our entire dinner. Although we do not get to see my cousins often, whenever we are together, it's as though we were just together yesterday. I wish we could see each other a lot more often.

As you can see, I've posted two photos to tonight's blog post: one of my cousin Charlie holding Sami (dressed in her new Florida Marlins' outfit,) and one that Steven took after Sami pigged out on baby green beans and then a bottle and then proceeded to pass out on top of me. I hope you enjoy the photos.

I expect this week to be a busy one, between work, a few play-dates, and getting the kitchen ready for Passover, which begins next Monday night. Sami also has a check-up, along with a few shots, this week. I am looking forward to finding out how much she is has grown. She has definitely had a big growth spurt since her last appointment one month ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment