Friday, June 29, 2012

Stuck inside today





Today, Sami and I are stuck at home because we are getting a new air conditioner in our house. It is supposed to take about 5 hours, and it's 94 degrees outside. Sami is hot, bored and a bit crabby. (And so am I. I'm also crabby about the $3,500 cost.)

Sami will be 20 months old on July 4. How crazy is that? I'm already starting to think about what to do for her second birthday. Part of me feels as though she was born yesterday, but the bigger part of me doesn't even remember life without her.

It's been a good week. I've been working on the magazine, but still finding time to meet friends for play-dates. Sami's favorite place seems to be the park these days, but we try to either go in the morning or after 5 p.m. because it's so hot. Also it rains almost every afternoon around 2 p.m.

This week Sami also got to spend time with her cousin, Lindsey, who is home visiting from college. Sami had a great time playing with her earlier this week. And in a couple of weeks my sister, Norma, who lives in Texas, will be visiting. It's been almost a year since she was here last, so it will be fun for her to see how much Sami has changed and grown.

The other day I was looking through the clothes Sami has outgrown. I have everything packed in boxes, but I am not quite yet ready to give anything away, but I still have hopes for Baby #2 one day. The chances are slim, because I do not know if we will ever be able to afford to adopt again, but just in case, I am holding on to Sami's outgrown clothes.. for now anyway. Sami's preemie-size clothes are so very small. I think they aren't much different in size than doll clothes, so it is extremely unlikely we will ever need to use those again, but they're packed up with the other clothes for now anyway.

When I was looking through her old clothes, it brought back memories of how small Sami was when she was born. When people meet her now that didn't know her then, they find it hard to believe she was born weighing just 3 pounds and 9 ounces. She is the same size as other kids her age now, and has completely caught up. It still amazes me.

We are dog sitting for our neighbors this week, while they are out of town. The dogs are easy to take care of, and when we go to their house every day, Sami wants to play with them, even though they are two very large boxers. It's funny that Sami has no fear of dogs, no matter what the size. She thinks of our dogs as just part of the family, as they were here before she got here. She's never known a home without animals. Now when she pets Penny, she says "nice" over and over, because I am always telling her to make nice when she goes near them. She also loves to give Penny and Java lots of kisses. Penny appreciates it, but Java not-so-much. He usually gets up and runs away, which of course leads Sami to chase him around the house.

I've attached three photos: one of Sami hanging out with Penny and Java, one playing at a friend's house, and one with her eating her second favorite snack-- a frozen yogurt popsicle. (Her top favorite snacks are cookies.)


No comments:

Post a Comment