Friday, September 10, 2010

MRI update

I believe this is the first year in my life that I have not gone to synagogue for Rosh Hashana.
My MRI results showed one VERY large ruptured disc, and one sequestered disc. Sequestered means that the disc went one step farther than rupturing and actually broke apart, meaning I have a piece of the disc material in my spine. (Sorry if this too much information for some of you reading.) The hope is that my body will absorb the disc material, which is sitting on the nerve root that runs down my right leg, foot and toes, which is where I have the most pain. This could take another month, or longer, or it could wind up never happening on it's own and could lead to surgery. Time will tell.
I will be starting physical therapy next week, and may also be having some spinal injections for the pain and swelling. Sounds fun, huh?
The only good part is that the surgeon wants me to try everything else first, and avoid surgery for now. I am also planning on trying some acupuncture, which will not help with the disc herniations, but may help with the muscle pain, swelling, and may help break up some of the scar tissue I have in my spine from my previous back surgery in 2003.
My doctor has said to me again that he thinks it is a blessing I never got pregnant, as it most likely would be very bad for my back to carry the weight of pregnancy. Maybe all things do happen for a reason.

1 comment:

  1. I know that you will get better but it will take time and I will be here for you all the way

    ReplyDelete