Tuesday, December 7, 2010

another busy week


























This is gearing up to be another busy week. One of my clients has a big editing project for me. I will be getting the work late Thursday and they need it completed by early Monday morning. They actually would like it back by the end of the day Friday, but are willing to wait until Monday morning if I need the weekend to complete it, which I am pretty sure will be the case. Sami has begun sleeping a little better, so I will keep her bassinet next to me while I work. I love having her close to me all the time.

I have another deadline due close-of-business today for another client, that I am struggling to meet. I am waiting now for a return phone call from a source I would need to interview for that article.

Tomorrow is Sami's weekly appointment with the pediatrician. She seems to be doing a little better on the sensitive-stomach formula, but I am not sure if it's enough of a difference to warrant switching her to this formula permanently, as the preemie formula has almost the double the vitamins and minerals as the other formula. It is designed to give preemies the nutrients they should have gotten from their mothers during the last two months of the pregnancy. I will discuss with the doctor the pros and cons, and will see what she advises.

There are other reasons Sami might be sleeping better. I found a way to elevate the mattress in her bassinet, and have packed lots of blankets around her in it as well. She seems to prefer to be elevated and tucked in. There is a chance she has reflux, which would explain her preference to be elevated. Last night we also spoke to someone at the baby store. He recommended a wedge that is made to be placed under crib mattresses for the same purpose. We purchased it but haven't tried it yet, because I haven't been putting her in her room in her crib the past few days, as her room seems to be the coldest room in the house. We also bought her a vibrating bouncer chair that is supposed to be great for babies with colic. I just finished washing all of the material on it, so I will be trying it out later to see how it works out for her.

This helpful employee's son was also born prematurely, so he was very helpful. His son was born weighing 5 pounds and 5 ounces (about two pounds bigger than Sami was when she was born), and he said that his son wore some of his preemie clothes for almost 6 months. I think I will be returning the newborn clothes that I purchased (the ones I haven't already cut the tags off of and washed), and just worry about buying new newborn clothes when she is ready for them. We bought a few more preemie outfits this week. I had been stalling buying new preemie clothes as I didn't expect her to wear them too long, but a lot of them are still roomy, and the newborn clothes are ridiculously huge on her. 0-3 month clothes are literally 4x the size of the preemie clothes. (I am not exaggerating. We compared them.)

At almost 5 weeks old, Sami is now probably the size of a very small newborn. She is definitely filling out, and looks different every day. Somehow she is even more beautiful every day.

2 comments:

  1. Hey - it won't be long and we will be holding her in person. Paula will be glad to hear that the bed is elevated and seems o be working.

    Granpa and Bubby from NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I out together this chair but it was ridiculous in how long it took even with the instructions but I eventually did get it done, so we can try it out tonight.

    The elevation for the bed looks like a little speed bump but the room she is in used to warmer because of the computer but it is much colder now.

    I still can hold her in my arm but she feels like she is putting weight on. Penny has been very protective of her which is good as they will grow up together. Shakespeare has been the ever curious one around her.

    The best is everyone is getting along and helping her progress.

    ReplyDelete