Sunday, December 5, 2010

I wish for sleep

It's almost 5:30 a.m. and I'm praying for Sami to fall back asleep sometime soon. She seemed to sleep a little better tonight, but now she's been awake since around 3:45 a.m. and does not seem to want to go to sleep, despite having her diaper changed, finishing a bottle, and getting lots of cuddling. Every time I set her down she screams. I brought her into her room a little while ago and set her in her crib, and I'm sitting in the glider chair talking to her and typing. She is still making noises, and is definitely still awake, but at least she isn't crying or screaming now. I am scared to leave the room because last time I tried, the second I left the room the screams started again.

Sami turned 1 month old on Saturday. I can't believe it. I don't know how I'll react when she turns 1 year old, 3 years old or 10 years old, considering that even her turning 1 month old made me feel that time was going to quickly.

I have a ton of work due Monday morning--pages I am editing and proofing for a ladies clothing catalog, which I am back to doing on a weekly basis. There are 92 pages for me to edit this weekend, which I need to drop off at their office Monday morning, and I think I've gotten about 5 pages done so far. LOL. I guess that is what I get for taking a nap tonight for two hours while Sami was sleeping. Because she sleeps so little, I'm just so tired and sometimes I want to nap when she sleeps, but I really need to be working when she is sleeping. Since I am so wide awake now, if she falls asleep any time soon, I may try to do a little more work this morning before going to sleep. I am trying to keep her room semi-dark (just a small light is on in the corner) and it's not enough light to proof pages or I would be doing it now. I have about 29 hours before I need to take Sami for a car-ride to drop of the completed pages Monday morning. I thought it wouldn't be so difficult to get this project done, since I had the weekend to complete it, but somehow time still got the best of me.

Sami is still making lots of little noises, and her eyes are still wide open. Since she is actually not screaming or crying, I am fighting the urge to pick her up, and am just letting her remain in her crib. My eyes are now beginning to get heavy, but I know if I leave the room, her little pipes will start shrieking again.

It's starting to get a little cold outside-- well it's cold for us Floridians. It's been in the 50s at night, and by mid-week it is expected to be 40 degrees at night.

Sami's noises are starting to get louder now, and are seeming to be getting into the crying/screaming phase, so I am going to sign off now.

The other day one of my friends posted a poll on facebook asking what everyone is hoping to receive this Christmas or Hanukkah. My answer was simple: "sleep."

2 comments:

  1. Joyce,
    Does Sami sleep in her crib day and night? I found it helpful to have one place for the baby during the day (a small crib or bassinette, preferably downstairs) and the regular crib for at night. That way she'll learn the difference between night and day. Also, you might want to play some very low music during the day, but none at night.
    Love, Great Aunt Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually very rare that sleeps in her crib at all. During the day I keep her either in her swing, her playpen or her car seat (which is her favorite place to sleep) downstairs. At night I usually try to get her to sleep in the bassinet in our bedroom. I will try the music idea. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete