Sunday, January 9, 2011

A real night's sleep

Sami slept for 7 continuous hours last night, from 11:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. She is continuing to do so well on the latest formula. After she ate I held for a little while and put her in her bouncer chair, and sat on the floor next to her and read her "Goodnight Moon" three times. I am not sure if I was reading it more to her or to myself because I love that book. She fell back asleep during the third read, and is still sleeping. I can't imagine she will sleep too long after just sleeping for 7 hours, but I guess you never know.

Last night we went to a restaurant for the first time since she has been out of the hospital, and took Sami inside a restaurant for the first time. She slept the whole time in her car seat carrier on the booth next to me. We went to Friday's and Steven told the waiter it was my birthday, which meant an embarrassing loud song to me by a large group of waiters and waitresses. But we did get free ice cream out of it.

I called Elizabeth on Thursday. It was the first time I have spoken to her since when she called the day before Thanksgiving. It was a nice conversation. She thanked me profusely for calling to offer our condolences for Carlos, and said that she knows we went above and beyond for her and thanked us again for everything we did for us. Of course when I look at Sami's face, everything was more than worth it. Elizabeth asked a little bit about Sami. She did not ask her name. She mainly asked if she was healthy, considering her low birth weight and how early she was. I assured her that the pediatrician says she is perfect. She asked me what color her eyes and hair are, and that was really it. She said she was very happy the baby was with us, and that from the first time she met me she felt we had known each other for years.

This coming Friday our social worker is coming to our house for a post-placement visit to see us with Sami. We will have one more visit with her at least a month after this visit in her office. After that we wait to find out when our court date is for the adoption to be finalized.

No comments:

Post a Comment