Monday, March 28, 2011

More work and play are on the way

I was just outside talking to the woman across the street with whom I am friendly. She is a stay-at-home mom to three children. We decided we both need at least a little bit of time that is just "me time," and she asked me if I wanted to go walking a couple of evenings each week. We decided to pick a couple of specific days/times with the idea that if we have an actual schedule, we may actually stick with it. And by walking we wont be too far from home in case our husbands/kids need us. The other reason for having scheduled walking evenings, is so that we will have a couple of planned nights our husbands know about in advance in which they must be home and available to watch the kids. Steven has not yet been alone with Sami, and we fondly refer to her as my "sidekick," but considering she will be five months old next Monday, I think it may be time. :)

Mommy and Me this morning was really nice. There was a little girl who kept walking over to me and Sami and trying to hug her and kiss her. I think she was about 20 months old. Her mother said she loves babies, and Sami loved all of the attention.

As for my work schedule, things look like they will be soon be getting busy again. I am still writing one to two articles each week for a local newspaper, and editing the clothing catalog a few times each month, but I had lost my main freelance job as the publication declared bankruptcy. However, I landed a gig this morning editing a book for a man who is writing a book on how to create a successful business, and we agreed on a rate this morning. He is now in the process of packing up the first four chapters he has completed to send to me, along with an advance check to get started! In addition, the trade magazine I was about to start writing for just lost its editor and because I have years of editing experience as well as writing experience, the publisher asked me to meet with him on Thursday about taking on the editor role, and he is very open to me doing the job from home!

It seems that I either have a ton of work or very little work with no happy medium; it's really been either feast or famine as a freelancer. When I have the free time, it's nice to be able to focus solely on Sami, and I've been getting to cook a lot and try out new recipes, but during those times I do also get antsy, not to mention that money gets very tight for us during those times. And on the weeks in which I have a ton of work, I greatly appreciate, and thrive on, the work, but some days feel completely overwhelmed trying to make tight deadlines while also caring for an infant. So I am trying to enjoy the next couple of days before I am very busy once again. On Tuesday, Sami and I are meeting one of the women I recently met who has a little girl that was born one week before Sami was born. And then on Wednesday I am meeting a group of women from the Mom's Club for a picnic and walk in the park.

Right now is a rare moment with Sami taking a nap during the daytime. I do not expect it to last long. Last night was the fourth consecutive night for Sami to sleep nine beautiful hours. She rarely naps at all during the day, but is sleeping longer at night finally. It's really nice that she is sleeping through the night now. And as though Sami sensed what I was just typing, her 15-minute catnap is now over, so until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment