Friday, October 8, 2010

31 weeks

Today, Elizabeth is 31 weeks along in her pregnancy, and Baby S is due 9 weeks from today. Baby S now measures more than 16 inches long. She weighs about 3.3 pounds (about the weight of four navel oranges) and is heading into a growth spurt. She can turn her head from side to side, and her arms, legs, and body are beginning to plump out as needed fat accumulates underneath her skin.

This morning Steven had his physical exam at the doctor, which is part of the adoption process. We have to have TB tests, blood work, etc., and prove that we are healthy and have a normal life expectancy. My appointment is scheduled for next week. We are getting there!

We ordered bedding, a hamper, a floor rug, and some other items to decorate the nursery with recently -- all within the Winnie the Poo theme. I got the phone call yesterday that everything is in, so we are going to pick it up this weekend. The crib and changing table, are still in boxes in the garage, along with all the other baby stuff, but we are planning to work on combining the two rooms we use as offices into one very soon, and start turning the other room into the the bedroom for Baby S!

As for me, I'm still in pain, but at least I'm driving. While I still have pain 24/7, it seems to be bearable during the day. At night is when it's the worst, and all of the pain is in my foot. My physical therapist is convinced the disc fragment has moved, which is a good thing. It's still on my nerve, but he believes it's on a different part of my nerve now, based on the way my symptoms seems to be changing every day. Perhaps some of it has been absorbed and it also may be a little smaller. He tells me not to worry so much about my symptoms, and instead focus on the things I can do that I couldn't do a few weeks ago. It's easy for him to say not to focus on the symptoms, when he's not the one being kept up half the night every night with pain. He says jokingly that "patients need to have more patience," when I tell him that it's already been more than 6 weeks since this began. Somehow, this doesn't amuse me.

As for work, I left one of my contract editing jobs last week, but have already found another one to replace it, and am working hard writing more for my two writing gigs. I am trying to work from home more and more, and less in an office, so that I can be a work-from-home mom, and Baby S will not have to go to daycare, although I imagine I will need a babysitter sometimes, as I still do need to spend a little time in an office.

Elizabeth seems to be doing OK. I spoke to her once this week and our attorney has spoken to her every day. Our attorney is keeping very close tabs on her since the incident of Elizabeth contacting another attorney to try to get more money. We are hoping for the best. It's very difficult, because I am already emotionally attached to this baby.

1 comment:

  1. seems like it never slows down

    I have taken on a new full time position as well as possibly two more websites and two freelance positions.

    Trying to do as much as possible to make money but we are both busy as can be

    ReplyDelete