Sunday, October 17, 2010

What the heck is a jicama?

Elizabeth is due in 7 weeks and 5 days now. It doesn't seem so long ago when she was due in 7 months, and now it's just 7 weeks. I spoke to her on Friday, when she was 8 weeks from her due date, and she said that she can tell she will not make it 8 more weeks. She says she feels like it will be in 4 weeks. She said in her previous pregnancies, she has always been at least 2 weeks early. (She's given two children up for adoption in the past, in addition to having two other children when she was very young, who were basically raised by her parents.)

On Tuesday I am going with her to the doctor. She has rescheduled it a few times, due to her having bronchitis, and due to me not being able to meet her up there because of my back. (She lives almost an hour and a half away from us.) She keeps telling me she really wants me to go with her. I'm hoping that's a good sign, of her not changing her mind about placing the baby with us. Every time I talk to her, I tell her how excited we are, and she tells me that she loves me, and she is so happy that I will be the one with whom she is placing the baby. It all sounds so business-like, and cold sometimes.

Meanwhile, I had my physical, blood work, etc. etc. etc. and passed with flying colors. Steven had to go back to the the doctor who did his physical because they lost his urine sample. His results and letter are finally ready, so I am going to pick them up on Monday, and then send both mine and Steven's physical results and letter from the doctor to our social worker and attorney. We have one form to sign and have notarized for the attorney, and I am still waiting to get a copy of my birth certificate in the mail to send to them, too. We have to send a copy of our marriage certificate with the physical results to the attorney, and then all we have left to do is wait for Baby S to be here!! (Well of course we still have lots of stuff to do in the house to get ready. We have to finish combining the two offices, and put together the crib, changing table, etc. and start decorating. We also still need a white dresser or chest of drawers for her room.)

As for Baby S, she probably weights about weighs 3.75 pounds (and is about the size of a large jicama -- whatever the heck that is!) and is about 16.7 inches long. Elizabeth should be gaining about a pound a week right now and roughly half of that goes right to the baby. In fact, Baby S should gain a third to half of her birth weight during the next seven weeks as she fattens up for survival outside the womb. She now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). Her skin is becoming soft and smooth as she plumps up in preparation for birth.

I am excited to go to the doctor with Elizabeth on Tuesday, and to see Baby S on the ultrasound. I am sure she looks a lot different than she did last time I saw her in the middle of August! I will post pictures this week.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! It is getting so close!

    (And I don't know what a jicama is either!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither do I but anyone who has a white dresser that they may not need, please let us know.

    Other help is always appreciated such as clothes and baby items.

    Baby S! daddy!

    Steven

    ReplyDelete