Friday, October 29, 2010

Trying to keep positive

I don't really have any news. We have done all that we need to do for the attorney and for our social worker and now it is time to just get the house ready, and to wait. Elizabeth is due in 6 weeks. It's getting close, and I try to keep the thought out of my head that for any reason Elizabeth could decide to not sign the papers and place the baby with us. We have a lot invested, both emotionally and financially, and if Elizabeth does not place the baby with us after all of this it would be devastating. Of course, there would most likely be another birth mother we would match with, but it would be very hard for me to trust the process again. I don't think I could go into at as open-minded as I have this time. It's very scary.

Last week our attorney asked me if our family members knew about us matching with Elizabeth. I thought it was such a crazy question. I told her that of course they knew, and they were all so excited to have a new addition to the family, and it was all most of us talk about. She said that some adoptive parents wait to tell people--even their own family members--until the birth paper signs the papers, even if it is a shock to tell people at the last minute that they just adopted a baby, because of how often the adoption winds up not going through. I've read that about 50 percent of adoption cases do not finalize, usually because the birth mother changes her mind at the end for some reason.

1 comment:

  1. Just out of curiosity, what happens when the birth mother backs out? Is there some way that the adoptive parents can recover all the expenses that they have paid? I would assume that there is some sort of way to do that or wouldn't every mother who was having financial hardship (and has no conscious) just pretend to want to place the baby for financial gain and then not sign the papers? Sorry, I have just always wondered about that.

    I would be wicked nervous if I were in this situation. I really hope everything works out for you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck, girl.

    ReplyDelete