Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Awake with nerves for the morning

It's been more than a week since I've last written here. Things have been going really well.

Last week, two people stopped me and said that Sami looked a lot like me! Then that same day, a woman said I looked familiar and was trying to place me. Then she said that her first guess would have been that maybe I was friends with her daughter when I was in high school, but that she was sure her daughter, who is in her 30s, was much older than me. What a great day that was!

Last week was also a big week for family. My sister, Norma, who lives in Texas, became the first member of my family to get her master's degree! We are all so proud of her. And my niece, Lindsey, just returned from spending 10 days in Israel as part of the birthright trip, whose mission is to ensure that every Jewish person visits Israel, so they provide free trips to students up to age 26. I have been to Israel twice, and hope one day to visit there again one day, with Steven and Sami. I would love for them to experience it; there are no words to truly explain being there.

Work has been busy for me, which is good. Sami is doing really well. It's so hard to believe that she is 6-and-a-half months old already. I do not know where the time is going.

Right now, it's after 1 a.m., and although I am so tired, I cannot sleep, even though I need to be up by 6 a.m. I have a huge case of the nerves because Sami is being converted at 8:30 a.m. at the ocean. I will be immersing her in the water three times, while the rabbi recites the prayers. Following her conversion, she will be given her Hebrew name. (We will be repeating the naming again in June at the synagogue.) It's ironic that she will officially be given her Hebrew name, before she officially has her English name. Until the adoption is finalized, her legal name is still "Baby Girl." But after tomorrow, her Hebrew name will be Shmuela Leah, named after my father, whose Hebrew name was Shmuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment