Monday, May 9, 2011

The perfect first Mother's Day & update

Yesterday was the perfect day. I couldn't have asked for a better first Mother's Day.

Starting at around noon, we had family come over for lunch. We got bagels, lox and cream cheese, and I made tuna salad, egg salad and pasta salad. And my sister and brother-in-law, brother and mom showed up with some great desserts. The house was full of family including my mom, my sister Glenda and "brother"-in-law Jay, niece Rachel, brother Michael and niece Sydney and nephew Aaron, and Steven's grandmother and Aunt Ruthie. It was really a full house. Unfortunately, Sydney and Aaron didn't stay too long because they are terribly afraid of our two dogs, Penny and Java, even though they are harmless, so Michael drove them home, and came back on his own. The last guest left around 9 p.m. Spending the day with family was exactly what I wanted. It was so nice to just spend a relaxing day with everyone, talking, laughing, eating and watching Rachel play with Sami, who was of course the center of attention.

Steven got me one of my favorite perfumes, in addition to the little girl pendant I picked out, which I wanted ever since I knew we were going to be having a little girl. He also got me beautiful roses. I felt very spoiled. :)

Next Wednesday on May 18, Sami is going to be converted to Judaism. She will be dipped in the ocean three times, followed by the rabbi saying a prayer. She will also be officially given her Hebrew name that morning, although we will be repeating that part on June 18 during synagogue services when family and friends can be there to watch, even though we learned that her actual naming will be at the ocean when she is converted. When the rabbi confirmed the conversion with us on Friday, we also learned that we are permitted to have a few people with us at the conversion, and my mother and sister are planning to join us. We know we can't ask out-of-town family to travel twice in two months; we are just so happy that so many people will be here on June 18th to join us for the naming in the synagogue.

The conversion ceremony should be very interesting. We had picked out a bathing suit for Sami to wear, but the rabbi informed me on Friday that Sami needs to be dipped in the ocean exactly as "God made her." Sami will be tagging along with a large group of people, mainly adults, who had taken Judaism courses planning to covert to Judaism. Sami will be converted first, before the group. From what I understand, the adults will be converted in pairs, with a towel held in front of them, as they must go under water nude, as well. It should be a sight to see!

This week is a busy one, as I am moving along editing an author's book, and getting more involved getting the next issue of my magazine completed. Steven is also working hard, as usual. We are also making the final arrangements on the baby naming by tomorrow, as far as a lunch for our guests after the service.

On Friday, I spoke to our attorney and although we hoped to have the adoption finalized in May, it looks like it wont be until at least sometime in June. The attorney reminds me that we have nothing to worry about, and it's just a matter of "when," not a matter of "if," but it still weighs heavy on me, and I just wish it was official already.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a wonderful day! congrats on the conversion, it sounds like it will be an interesting day!

    ReplyDelete