Wednesday, May 4, 2011

six months old already

It's so hard for me to believe that Sami turned 6 months old today. Time is already flying by way too quickly. I feel as though I could stare at her face 24 hours a day, sometimes not even needing to sleep. I am so in love with her.

This Sunday will be my first Mother's Day! How exciting! We are having family over on Sunday for lunch, including my mother, my sister, brother-in-law, my brother, two nieces and two nephews, Steven's grandmother, and Steven's aunt. Last Mother's Day we had family over also, but this year feels even more special, because Sami is here.

Sami is doing so well. She is so close to crawling now, eating so many foods, smiling and laughing and interacting, and reaching for toys to play with (it's already obvious that she is right-handed.)

As for me, I am surprised how much I am enjoying my newest gig as editor of a business magazine. The publisher has pretty much handed it over to me, as though it is my baby. I am talking often with the writers and art designer, and really feel as though I am in my element once again. I am also still editing a book for a real estate developer who has written a 300-page text about becoming an entrepreneur. It's interesting at times, yet boring at other times, but on a whole I'm enjoying that work, too.

It's also been a great time in news for me, between watching everything I could find about the royal wedding (I became a bit obsessed with it) to then becoming glued to the news about Osama Bin Laden. I am a news junkie, so this is also keeping my mind occupied.

Sami continues to sleep well most nights, and naps very little during the day. My mother has come over a few times recently to watch her for a little while during the day so that I could be available for work-related conference telephone calls. It's been a huge help.

Last night, Sami did the oddest thing. I woke up at 5 a.m. to the sound of her "talking" and laughing. I didn't want to go into her room because I knew if she saw me she'd then start to cry to be picked up, and she sounded happy so I let her be and just listened by her door. She was laughing and talking off and on until 7 a.m. I'd like to believe that someone was in her room visiting with her, perhaps my father. She then fell asleep peacefully for a little while and then cried that it was time for her to get up around 7:30 a.m. It was one of her shorter nights of sleep, considering she didn't even fall asleep until almost 10:30 p.m. that night.

On a lighter note, Sami has a new habit. Spitting. I'm not kidding. I'm not sure where she learned to do this but she collects her saliva, and spits at us now making this loud spitting sound. And then she laughs. I am trying not to laugh when she does it, and I am telling her to stop. But it's not working out so well. She also is starting to drop her rattle, let me pick it up and hand it to her, then drop it again, let me pick it up again, etc. etc. etc. You see where this is going. :)

This week, I am hoping to confirm a date for Sami's baby naming. I am so excited about the visits from the family members that have not yet gotten to meet Sami. My sister, brother-in-law and niece are driving here from Texas, and Steven's parents, and hopefully Steven's brother, our sister-in-law and our niece and nephew will also all be coming from North Carolina. I am looking forward to spending time with everyone.

We are also still anxiously awaiting for a court date to have the adoption finalized. I will feel a great deal of relief when that finally takes place. It's still a huge weight on my shoulders waiting for it to be official.

No comments:

Post a Comment