Saturday, July 10, 2010

17 week update (and some other stuff)

Yesterday Elizabeth was 17 weeks along in her pregnancy, although the high-risk doctor is still sticking to the Dec. 10 due date, which would have made her 18 weeks along. The attorney spoke to regular OB, who said that when in doubt to go by the first ultrasound, which put her due date at Dec. 17, so that is what I am going by. The high-risk doctor told me not to make any plans for December though, because of the due date mix-up, and because Elizabeth delivered one week early the last time she gave birth. She also had a very quick delivery. (The baby was apparently half-out in the car, and she never even had time for any time of pain medication.) Elizabeth has said that I can be in the room with her when she delivers, joking though that I may not make it on time because of how fast she delivers. I have gotten a pre-paid cell phone for Elizabeth to call me, and she has promised to call me as soon as she goes into labor so we can go to the hospital. We have had one phone conversation since we met, and it was very comfortable and reassuring. She even called the attorney after we met, telling her that she really loved meeting me and thinks I am going to be an amazing mother, and that she couldn't be happier. :)

Anyway, back to where I started. Baby S' skeleton is now changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord — her lifeline to the placenta — is growing stronger and thicker. She weighs 5 ounces now (about as much as a turnip), and she's around 5 inches long from head to bottom. She can move her joints, and her sweat glands are starting to develop.

On Monday I have to call the attorney to straighten out some financial stuff. We just got the monthly ledger in the mail about the costs for Elizabeth's care this month, and the amount due on our upcoming monthly payment. The amount is the same as originally discussed, even though Elizabeth was approved for food stamps since then, and even though her rent is $225 than we originally estimated. Hopefully they will not give me a hard time. The truth is that the legal fees are much more than supporting Elizabeth throughout the entire pregnancy. It's unbelievable how much the attorney will earn from this. "But it is what it is." I try not to get too wrapped up in the money part since in the end I know it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment