Monday, July 19, 2010

the all-nighter with Java

It's almost 6 a.m. and I'm still awake. We wound up taking our little Italian greyhound, Java, to the animal hospital at 1 a.m. and didn't get home until 3:30 a.m. We still aren't sure if he got into something and eaten something he shouldn't have or if he has a virus, or something else. They did blood work and it was OK so we know it's not an infection, but he has a temperature of 104.8 (100-102 is normal for dogs) and he had been throwing up nonstop. I was going to wait to take him to the vet until the morning, until it started having blood in it, and we got nervous. In addition to having a temperature, he is dehydrated, so they gave him an injection of fluids and an injection of some medication since he was not able to keep anything down. Now he is not allowed to have water until noon, and then a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice in the evening. He has 3 prescriptions I need to start giving him with the food tomorrow night, if he keeps everything down. If not, he may need to go back to the vet for more tests. Meanwhile, every 10 minutes he thinks he needs to go out even though he completely empty, (sorry if this is too much information) so I am up taking him outside every 10 minutes. The magazine is done, so I do not need to go into the office today. I was planning on getting to work on some freelance stuff from home. So when we got home from the vet I told Steven to go to sleep since he has to get up early, and I am monitoring Java like the vet recommended. Maybe Java thought we needed to be prepared for taking care of any long nights that may be in our future with Baby S. I just hope he's OK. Ugh - I'm tired. Maybe this time he'll actually sleep, and let me sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment