Monday, November 8, 2010

Sami update

We got home tonight from the hospital after midnight again. I now have so much work to catch up on, and imagine I will be up working until about 4 a.m. since most of it is due on Monday morning. Tomorrow (Monday), I have to get up early to drop off the edited pages at one of my clients. Then I need drop of a very large check to the attorney for the remainder of Elizabeth's support and legal fees, and then spend the day with Sami. My mom is going with me to see Sami.

Tonight broke my heart. Sami isn't eating as well as she had been, and now is being tube fed through her nose. Unless you've experienced this firsthand with your own child, I think it may be hard to understand what it feels like to witness this. She is so tiny and helpless, with wires on her chest, a monitor on her ankle, and now a tube down her nose, and she sleeps enclosed in a clear incubator.

The good news is that she gained half an ounce, and now weighs 3 pounds, and 9 and a half ounces. It was still such a surprise that she was born almost 6 and a half weeks early. She may have some developmental delays, but is expected to catch up completely by the time she is 5 years old. The other good news is that she is no longer jaundice, and she is regulating her body temperature on her own. If that keeps up, she will probably be moved to a crib very soon.

Elizabeth called me today because she was discharged from the hospital and is home now. I had been visiting her every day and she didn't want us to take the time to go up to her floor in the hospital when she wouldn't be there. We had a nice conversation, and she thanked me for everything we did for her. She told me that she loves me, and she knows we will be good parents, and she is very sure she made the right decision. I thanked her for helping us create our family. The conversation made me feel good, and I felt emotional when we said goodbye and hung up.

2 comments:

  1. Glad it's working out so well so far between you and Elizabeth! I can understand exactly how hard it must be to see Sami that way. It will be over soon and these days will be a distant memory before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeding her with the tube felt like a set back but the nurses told us it was ok and hopefully she will be home soon with us.

    ReplyDelete