Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

On Wednesday, Sami's weekly pediatrician appointment went very well. She now weighs 4 pounds 12 ounces, and is expected to gain an average of one ounce per day. She is also now 18.25 inches long. She is now three weeks old and has gained 1 pound and 3 ounces and has grown two inches. At this rate, she will most likely weigh more than 5 pounds at her next visit next Wednesday. The pediatrician said she is doing great, and the only sign of her being a preemie is her small size. Sami is already making me proud to be her mother.

I'm still very tired but I'm getting used to it, and finding I do not need much sleep to function. It's a good thing, considering my other half sleeps through the night ... through every cry, every feeding, etc. Sometimes I think a freight train could go through the room and it wouldn't even wake him up. So yes, I'm tired and a little frustrated, but I am happy even when I am tired, and feel that Sami and I are bonding through all of the time we spend together during the wee hours of the nights and mornings, and the days while I try to balance working from home and taking care of Sami. Yes, my work is suffering right now, but when she gets a little bigger and on more of a schedule, I am expecting that to change. All of my clients are being very understanding.

We spent Thanksgiving at my sister's house, where my sister and her two daughters and my mother took turns holding Sami while making baby talk and laughing each time she smiled, scrunched her lips together or stretched her arms up in the air. It's so funny how every expression a little baby makes turns into entertainment. Sami was definitely the center of attention tonight.

Of course I think it made her schedule a little more off than usual, since she didn't sleep as much this evening. So when it was time to feed her around 2:15 a.m., Sami only ate one ounce instead of two, and even the one ounce was a struggle. It's now 3 a.m. and I finally gave up and am letting her sleep, but of course this means she will need to eat again before the usual three-hour break. I am expecting her to wake up hungry by 4 a.m. I am not sure if I will be able to stay up until then as I am getting very tired, but I'm sure she will wake me up. LOL. She has unbelievable loud pipes for her small size. Then I'll take a nap until it's time to feed her again around 7 a.m., and then will feed her around every three hours. I don't really remember what it's like to sleep. I'll have to ask my husband to describe sleep to me since he still knows what sleep is like. LOL.

All joking aside, this Thanksgiving I know how much I have for which to be thankful, and I am truly grateful.

1 comment:

  1. I am wondering if sleep is overated...I am finding the best way to sleep is with Hannah on my chest...not a good thing, but it works! lol

    ReplyDelete