Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Couldn't come at a better time...

Yesterday was a good day! I got offered another freelance job, and it couldn't come at a better time. Between the enormous legal fees and the fact that we have to pay all of Elizabeth's living expenses from the time she conceived this child until 6 weeks after she gives birth, the cost of adoption is extremely high. (When I first started this blog, I decided I would never list actual numbers, and would try not to mention the money aspect too often. But as money is a large part of this process, the topic will have to come up sometimes in this blog as I share the whole story, and of course we have days where we worry, hoping we can actually pull this off financially.) This is not about the money, because we know having a child will be worth this expense, but we must admit that sometimes it's hard not to be jealous of the couples that can have a child without having to worry about this huge expense. A few people who have kids have said to us, "Just wait until you have the baby. Then things will be really expensive." We know this is true, but these people aren't realizing that they didn't have to pay thousands and thousands just to be able to have their baby in the first place, before the other expenses even started.

Anyway, back to the good news of yesterday, because that was meant to be the whole point of this post. I am sure my old employer will soon be referring to me as a traitor, as my new freelance job is for his competition, which he reads every week. I did offer my freelance services to him first, however he told me that he wished he could use me, but they do not have the freelance budget right now. So I do not think he has a right to be angry with me personally when he sees my byline in the competing publication, but I am sure he will be angry with me just the same. The work will not be easy, as it is extremely technical, finance-related news. It pays well, but it's a trade publication read by executives, analysts, economists, etc., who really know their stuff, and they want to read the things they don't already know. This is the same audience I wrote for in the past, before leaving in December, so I'm used to the work, but it's been a little while so I have to get into the mindset of it. This is an addition to the three other editing and writing jobs I have, so I'm expecting to be busy, but I welcome the work, because well... for starters, I love it, and because the money is very welcomed right now.

2 comments:

  1. Joyce
    Congrats and like you said it cannot come at a better time. We know you can do the job and are proud of you

    Rick and Paula
    NC Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if any parents before hand to pay the money to have a child would they actually go through with it?

    ReplyDelete